Frequently Asked Questions

Is abortion legal in Texas?
Yes. You can get a legal abortion in Texas through 20 weeks after “probable fertilization,” or approximately 22 weeks after your last regular menstrual period. If you are under 18, one of your parents must consent to an abortion or you can request a judge’s order, called a judicial bypass. See below for more information on this.
I need an abortion. Where do I go/who do I call?
First, look at the list of clinics and call to get an appointment. If you are under 18 and cannot tell a parent, you can call the Jane’s Due Process hotline to see if you qualify for a judicial bypass. If you need help paying for an abortion or traveling to the clinic, here is a list of organizations that may be able to help.
I’m a minor (age 17 and under). Can I get an abortion?
Yes. However, Texas law requires that anyone under the age of 18 notify and receive the consent of one parent or legal guardian before obtaining an abortion. If you are a minor and cannot get the consent of your parent or legal guardian or do not wish to notify them, you may apply for a judicial bypass. This is a signed order from a judge that allows minors to get an abortion confidentially without parental involvement. For more information or for help applying, visit Jane’s Due Process or call their 24/7 hotline at 1-866-999-5263.
How much does an abortion cost?
The average cost of a first trimester abortion in Texas can start at ~$450, however, cost can vary based on provider and certain medical conditions. If you are past 12 weeks, the cost will be higher and will increase the further along you are in the pregnancy.
What happens when I go for an abortion?
First you will have to go to the clinic for blood work, counseling and a sonogram. Texas law requires that you do this at least 24 hours before your abortion procedure, unless the nearest clinic to you is more than 100 miles away. If the nearest clinic to you is more than 100 miles away, you will have to wait two hours.

Texas law requires that the same physician who will perform the abortion do your sonogram and explain it to you. If another organization offers you a free sonogram, please be aware that you CANNOT use this for your abortion. Many anti-abortion “crisis pregnancy centers” offer free sonograms, sometimes in a van or bus outside the clinic, but this is an attempt to get you to come in so they can try to coerce you out of having an abortion. These centers are not supportive of all your options and will not help you get an abortion, if that is what you want.

What is the clinic experience like?
Your experience at the clinic will vary slightly depending on which abortion procedure you choose. There are two types of abortion procedure that are offered, medical abortion (the abortion pill) and surgical abortion; both procedures are safe and effective.
What are the two types of abortions, and how do they work?
If you decide to have a medical abortion (abortion pills), you will take two pills on two separate visits to the clinic. You will begin to miscarry after you take the second medication. The time it takes to abort the pregnancy varies between several hours and one or two days, depending on the patient. During this time, you will experience cramps and bleeding.

If you opt for a surgical abortion, the procedure will vary based on how far along you are in your pregnancy. Many clinics will offer a light sedative which will allow you to be more relaxed. The clinic can also use a local anesthetic to numb the cervical area. Neither option will take all the pain away and you will likely experience some cramping during the procedure similar to period cramps.

Does my insurance cover my abortion?
It depends. Private insurance policies only cover abortion in cases of life endangerment, unless individuals purchase an optional rider at an additional cost.
I don’t have a car or a ride. How can I get to the nearest clinic?
Some abortion funds can help you get to the clinic by giving you a ride or paying for a bus ticket and hotel depending on your situation. Check out this list of funds and types of support they offer.
Should I go to one of those centers offering a free pregnancy test and sonogram?
No. If you are interested in having an abortion, or want to talk to someone about all your pregnancy options, there are a couple of hotlines we recommend you call instead. These centers are referred to as crisis pregnancy centers (CPCs) or “fake clinics”. They advertise themselves as pregnancy resource centers, but they are not full-options counseling centers and cannot be trusted for medical advice. These centers are run by anti-abortion organizations that promise free services in an attempt to force their views on you. While a free sonogram might be tempting, a sonogram from a CPC will not fulfill the sonogram requirement. Texas law requires that your sonogram be performed by the same provider that will perform your abortion. If you’d like to learn more about CPCs, visit
I’m undocumented. Can I still get an abortion?
Yes. However, the state of Texas requires that abortion patients provide an ID before their procedure. You have the right to seek medical care, including abortion care. Your abortion provider will not ask for your documentation status. For more information on the ID requirement, see below.

If you live in the lower Rio Grande Valley, you can go to Whole Woman’s Health in McAllen for an abortion up to 17.6 weeks. If you decide to go to an abortion clinic in San Antonio, Houston, Austin or Dallas/Fort Worth, be aware that there are border checkpoints on the way to those clinics.

Do I need an ID to get an abortion?
Yes. Due to a recent law passed by the Texas Legislature, abortion clinics are required to ask for an ID or report to the state how many abortions they provided without a form of identification. Because of this reporting requirement, more than likely you will be required to provide a government issued form of ID. When making your appointment with the clinic, be sure to check that your form of ID will be accepted.

Acceptable forms of ID include:
*driver’s license or identification card
*United States passport
*current passport issued by a foreign country
*an unexpired Certificate of United States Citizenship *Temporary Resident Card
*Employment Authorization Card
*unexpired military ID 
*original or certified copy of birth certificate
*original or certified Consular Report of Birth Abroad
*official order relating to a name or sex change
*school records from a college or university
*an insurance policy continuously valid for the two years preceding the date of the application for a license
*the title for your motor vehicle
*military records
*current military dependent ID
*original or certified copy of a marriage license or divorce decree
*voter registration certificate
*pilot’s license
*handgun license
*temporary driver’s permit or temporary ID from Texas DPS
*offender ID card from the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.